In 1957, the Recreation Field Service was developed by Dr. Allen Sapora as a component of the Department of Recreation. In
1968, the merger of the Recreation Field Service and the Rural Recreation Service of the Cooperative Extension Service of the
College of Agriculture resulted in the Office of Recreation and Park Resources. The unit's director was Dr. Joseph J. Bannon.
In 1992, the name was changed to the Office of Recreation and Tourism Development. In 2004, Robin Hall, the former director of
the Urbana Park District was appointed the unit's director. Under his leadership in 2006, the title of the Office of Recreation
and Park Resources was reestablished.